2010 PULL Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot
It is amazing how two varietals with very distinct personalities can be blended to produce such a harmonious and beautifully balanced wine. While each variety has the remarkable ability to stand alone, the great French producers have shown what can result when the best of both worlds are combined. Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot account for over 60% of the plantings on our estate vineyard in Paso Robles with the number of blocks at 12 separate areas, and terroirs.
The wide range of plantings provides many alternative characters for blending wines with distinct characteristics. The Cabernet Sauvignon component is from one of the earlier picked blocks and has shown to offer sweet ripe fruit but with much softer tannin structure-perfect for blending. The Merlot portion was selected from a similarly earlier picked block and was described, at selection, as having “wonderful primary fruit characters with exceptional mid palate weight”.
Cabernet Sauvignon is often described as lacking in the middle palate, requiring something to help flesh it out. The blending of Merlot completes that task but certainly adds its own unique characteristics. The result can be very rewarding and this wine shows that blended reds certainly have a place in the market. The wine will appeal to a broader audience but will still satisfy the ‘die-hard’, purist Bordeaux followers. Look for an abundance of fruit with a richly textured mid-palate and lingering flavor. Subtle use of oak acts to emphasize the fruit quality rather than dominate it.
• RESERVE CLASS CHAMPION - 2016 Houston Live Stock Show & Rodeo
• GOLD – 2014 Denver International Wine Competition
• GOLD 92pts - 2014 Los Angeles International Wine and Spirits Competition
• GOLD - 2012 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
• GOLD 92pts - 2012 Los Angeles International Wine and Spirits Competition
• SILVER - California State Fair Wine Competition
• SILVER - U.S. National Wine Competition 2013
• SILVER - LA Wine Competition 2013
• SILVER - Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo 2013
• SILVER - San Francisco Chronicle 2013